3/31/2011

Discipline

My idea of discipline is eating one peanut butter sandwich for lunch instead of three. Having one whiskey in the evening instead of four. If I can eat less than 3000 calories a day, I’m disciplined. If I can hold my daily potato chip consumption to half a bag, I’m disciplined. If I write a page a week, I’m disciplined. In other words, I have no discipline whatsoever—never have, never will. Yet I have this dream of living a life in which my foibles, my weaknesses, my perfect inability to control my impulses, give way to a new man: A Man Principled in the Art of Denial. A man so self-regulating that he can go a week on a slice of Velveeta and a Perrier. A man who shuns the carnal in favor of protracted sessions with the Koran, ignores the pangs of alcoholism for a cold glass of jus d'orange. A man who favors a gloveless ascent of the Eiger to eating a quart of Ben and Jerry’s during the two-hour finale of The Bachelorette. This is the man I seek to be: the man for whom self-denial is a way of life and self-discipline the road to salvation. I'll get started on this new program any day now. As soon as I get a little discipline.

2 comments:

jim said...

Self discipline is for the young. I try to believe what friends tell me after opening with, "How do you like retirement?" That is, we aging gents (old farts) have earned the right to do whatever we want. I don't really believe this of course but it does seem we get a bit of leeway, except from our wives and kids.

Junglechina said...

Why? Why do you want to be THAT guy Chuck? What you are is far more interesting, kind, whole and real than the person who is so highly regulated.
You "aging gent" Jim have always done pretty much whatever you want anyway. Since when is that an "earned" right?